Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Decorating with Shadow Boxes

Shadow Boxes are a Fun Way to Display Keepsakes/Memories/What Nots/Collectibles


This is my favorite of all my shadow boxes.  It's full of Wade pottery, gifts, souvenirs from travels/vacations, yard sale finds, toys and things I inherited. 

My eldest son bought this mini-shelf for his sister as a gift.  When she tired of it, she gave it to me.  I have hung it in a small wall space between the broom closet and bathroom door.  It is full of Wade pottery I got for a very good price at a yard sale.

It took a while for me to realize I have a lot of pins.  I have so many pins that I could put a collage of pins together that represent the month of the year.  "Begin" in sign language is a key-like movement, so January is represented as a key.  There's a heart for February, etc.   Two of the pins are polymer pins by the artist, Lynne Manning (www.etsy.com/people/LynneManning).  Check out the pin for November, as the holiday planning and work is heating up.  That should get a few smiles.

We collect Hard Rock Cafe pins.  Every good report card, birthday, Christmas a new pin showed up for one of my son's collection.  I started collecting pins from only the Hard Rock Cafes we visited.  I bought two pins at the original Hard Rock Cafe in London, but lost them somewhere.  Damn, they've never showed up.  This shadowbox is incomplete without it.  I hung this in our bathroom over the hand-towel rack.  As you dry your hands, you can't help but look at them.

This shadow box is a catch basin of pins, there's no theme.  It fills a space that used to display a picture I no longer care for.



No comments:

Post a Comment