Sunday, December 30, 2012

Repairing a Quilt

I have been fixing an old quilt over the Christmas vacation for my nephew. 
I gave him this quilt 16 years ago, when he was a newborn. 
The colors were chosen in the hope that the quilt would not become too "baby-ish" as he grew.
Like the Velveteen Rabbit, this quilt was loved real. 
I was unaware how much use the quilt had gotten until I inspected it closer.

Zoom in and you will see the wear this quilt has experienced.
 
With seam ripper in hand, I carefully pulled the bias tape off the whole quilt. 
This was, of course, very time consuming. 
At this point I realized that there had been some shifting among the layers along the edges. 

Notice how the brown from the front (bottom) is extending out from the tan fabric (top) of the back.
 

 


I trimmed (Gulp!) the excess away.
 
Then I tried to find a fabric that would compliment the quilt,
which would be destined to become the new bias.
Notice the faded lizard that I had stenciled on the quilt face.
I had this lizard fabric in my stash. 
 


Making bias tape.
 

 
 
I hand sewed the bias tape to the quilt edge and then matched up the ends.
 

 

Completed.
 
I love the LeMoyne Star pattern.
 
Future posts will show more of the LeMoyne Star


No comments:

Post a Comment